This most elegant and exclusive of Palaces on the Grand Canal was designed and built in 1550 by the architect Vittoria.It rises in all its aristocratic splendour between the neighbouring palaces of Ca’ Foscari and Ca’ Rezzonico, with Palazzo Grassi across the water.
The Palace has its own private mooring place on the Grand Canal, thus allowing access by gondola or water taxi. From here guests enter a spacious entrance hall before scaling the majestic staircase up to the ‘piano nobile’. A splendid Italian garden was created behind the building duringthe 19th century. This, being something of a rarity in Venice, now forms part of the Palace.
Originally, the renaissance style façade was entirely covered in frescoes – of which small fragments remain and are visible on the sides of the building. The principal doorway into the ‘piano nobile’ represents a fine example ofRenaissance work.